Rules and Regulations
The Tempe Sizzling Sevens Rugby Invitational and Qualifier event is hosted by the Tempe Rugby Club and sponsored by the Desert Southwest Athletic Club, LLC (DSWAC). The Tempe Sizzling 7s Rugby Invitational was awarded national qualifier status by the Southern California Rugby Football Union (SCRFU) as part of the SCRFU National Qualifier 7s Series in March 2013.
- The Tempe Sizzling Sevens Rugby Invitational and Qualifier will be played under the current IRB Rugby Sevens Tournament Format, Rules, and Regulations (Qualifier and International Divisions) or a modified version of the current IRB Rugby Sevens Tournament Format, Rules, and Regulations (Open Divisions and Exhibitions), as appropriate.
- The competition will be conducted under the auspices of the DSWAC Executive Committee, which shall be under the direction of the DSWAC Event Director(s). Their decisions in all matters shall be final, save for appeal to the SCRFU National 7s Qualifier Series chairman.
- The Tempe Sizzling Sevens Rugby Invitational and Qualifier host a variety of competitive and open events each year including, but not limited to qualifier, open, exhibition and international matches. Please visit the registration page for current information.
- Qualifier/Open – Senior Men’s/Women’s
- Qualifier/Open – College Men/Women’s
- Qualifier/Open – High School Boys/Girls
- Exhibition Matches
- International Matches
- Final rosters are limited to 12 players, and must be submitted prior to event. See the Event Schedule for dates and deadlines.
- Teams that violate the 12 man roster limit and play more than 12 players are subject to immediate elimination from the Tempe Sizzling Sevens Rugby Invitational and Qualifier.
- See the Sizzling7s.com web site for all event information including, but not limited to event location, dates and deadlines, registration steps, registration fees, competition rules and regulations, preferred hotel, and other general information.
- All clubs and individual players participating in the event must possess current club and individual player CIPP enrollment with USA Rugby and the specific Club with whom they will compete.
- Club and individual player enrollment status will be collected and verified consistent with the specific guidelines outlined for each division. All players must possess a government-issued photo ID and be prepared to present it upon request.
- All teams participating in the Tempe Sizzling Sevens Rugby Invitational and Qualifier must register in advance via the Sizzling7s.com web site registration page. Click here for the current schedule and deadlines.
- The team registration process must be completed in conjunction with the event’s published deadlines and restrictions. Registration is complete only when the following steps are finalized.
- Complete online club registration & payment (in full). An email confirmation will be sent to the team contact once registration and payment (in full) are received and verified.
- Submit official team roster. A second email confirmation will be sent to the team contact once an official team roster is received and verified.
- One representative from each club must be available in person for the captain’s meeting. See the event web site for current schedule including captain’s meeting date, time, and location.
- A registered team may withdraw from a tournament prior to the published early bird registration closing date and be eligible for a 50% refund. However, a request to withdraw must be submitted in writing prior to the published early bird registration closing date. See the Sizzling7s.com event web site for current schedule.
- Please note that refunds are not issued after the early bird registration closing date…NO EXCEPTIONS. Click to see the current schedule.
- The top four teams from each division will be recognized as Cup (1st place), Plate (2nd place), Bowl (3rd place), and Shied (4th place) winners, respectively.
- The awards ceremony will commence immediately following the finals for each division.
- Exhibition matches may be available for underrepresented divisions (e.g., women’s, youth).
Referees and Touch Judges
- Tournament referees are the responsibility of the event host/sponsor and will be provided and coordinated by the Director of the ARU Rugby Referees Association.
- The Referee shall be the sole judge of fact and law during the match.
- The Referee shall be the sole judge of any dispute regarding the Touch Judges signals.
- The Tournament organizers shall not be responsible for any dispute regarding the Referee’s decision on the field of play.
- Touch judges for the semifinal and final matches of Tempe Sizzling Sevens Rugby Invitational and Qualifier shall be provided by the on-site Director of the ARU Referees Association currently officiating ARU matches.
- Touch Judges for the tournament games must wear a different color jersey from the participating players.
- Players and coaches should be aware at all times that they are representing their clubs, schools, and their sport in a national championship event both on- and off-the-pitch.
- Your conduct will be on full view for current and future rugby players, rugby officials, and the general community. It is expected each of you will conduct yourself in a manner that will present the sport in a positive light.
- Failure to adhere to the highest levels of sportsmanship and conduct may result in disciplinary action against teams and individuals by ARU, SCRFU, and USA Rugby.
- All club and player disciplinary action taken during the event shall be reported to the appropriate LAU and US Rugby as appropriate.
- A player who receives a red card is immediately expelled from the remainder of the tournament.
- A player who receives yellow cards in consecutive matches is suspended for his team’s next match.
- A player who accumulates three yellow cards during the tournament is expelled from the remainder of the tournament.
- All cards are subject to review by the Match Commissioner and the Head Match Official.
Facilities & Equipment
- Regulation pitches will be utilized for all event matches.
- Standard size match balls will be provided for all event matches.
- Uprights for penalty, drop, and conversion kicks will be provided. Ground level posts will be padded for safety.
- An Athletic Trainer (ATC) and a Physician will be available on site, as appropriate. In addition, student massage therapists will be invited to provide massage therapy.
- Two ice baths will be maintained on site for player convenience.
- General medical supplies will be the responsibility of the participating clubs.